Sunday, June 10, 2007

Egyptian Birdie Club







It was a hot morning in Giza, but luckily Bones and I were drinking plenty of water. Our caddies, Sayed and Alli, were keeping watchful eye over our errant shots, few as they were. The rental clubs were awkward, but it didn't matter, as everytime time we looked up, we could see the great pyramid of Giza! Under such conditions, Josh and I battled it out through 18 holes of pure heat. I was founder of the Egyptian Birdie club at #6 and ended my day with my second birdie of the day to shoot 74 (par 68). Alas, Josh shot 72 and while he was separated by only two strokes, there was not much else to separate us this morning.

The afternoon was spend with Faraq, our crazy and exuberant cab driver, who took us to Saqqara to see the step pyramid. Faraq was very funny and sang to us in the car. He also drove like a maniac, but I think that's just normal for the cab drivers here in Cairo. He was very gracious and quite the funny man. He would flirt with women at dangerously high speeds and swerve to scare little kids in the streets. In all, I can say that spending time with him, was an experience in and of itself.

We met the tour members today and they seem like a nice bunch. We are the only U.S. Citizens and surrounded by kiwis, brits, and aussies. Should be a fun drinking crowd! Josh and I tried our first sheesas, or water pipes, and I think it's fair to say that Josh is hooked. Apparently there's a guy in Dahab who has apple mint tabacco. Can't wait to get a puff.....that is, if Josh will let me. Apparently, he's never heard of "puff, puff, pass!"

Until later......

Love, peace, and soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guys,

I'm glad you have your priorities in line by ensuring that your playing some golf. Tell Bones that I'm glad he's hitting the good stuff.

Scott

Donna said...

Guys,

I'm just letting you know that we're checking in on you. I hope Bones didn't go looking for a camel after hitting the good stuff. It seems like you're having the time of your life. Keep the pictures coming. We'll be checking in on you from time to time.

Love,
Donna, Ruben, & Mekayla

Anonymous said...

People should read this.