Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The bus ride to Pondicherry....yikes!


After waking up to the sounds of rain, we ate breakfast at our hotel and then headed to catch the bus to Pondicherry. It was only a 4 hour ride and the trains didn't run as often as the buses. Plus, the bus was cheaper......like $5 for both of us!

Well, there's a reason for the cheap fare......it's so they can cram as many people as possible onto the bus. We got on one bus early and secured seats where we could keep our bags close. As the bus took off, it was completely full with the aisles open. That would soon change as we slowly but surely picked up more passengers until they were two and three deep in the middle aisle of the bus. At one time, I had three to four people pressed up against me during the bulk of the four hour ride. For those of you who think that traveling around the world is all fun and games, think about 4 hours of hot sweaty, Indians pressed up against you while you get hawked oranges, green coconuts, and other items. Think about the horn blaring every 5 seconds all while music is playing in between two bad Indian films on the screens. Oh yeah, I almost forgot.....our bus got hit by another bus! It truly was one of the more wild experiences on my trip thus far. I wish I had enough room to reach my camera and take a picture, but I couldn't hardly move at time!

Needless to say, both Kathryn and I were glad to see that bus ride come to an end.

More later......

Love, peace, and soul.

No comments: