Sunday, August 12, 2007

A quick look at Addis Ababa




My next stop on the world tour was a bit unplanned and looking back, I probably didn't have the best experience given several factors. I arrived into Addis Ababa late on a Thursday night and was flying out to India on Sunday. So, I had a short time frame to see all that Addis had to offer. Little did I know that August is not the time to visit Ethiopia as it's right in the middle of the heavy part of rainy season. So, I ended up spending a lot of time at my guesthouse, run by Mr. Martin.

When it wasn't raining I did get out and explore Addis and found it to be an odd mix of first world and third world......all on the same street. I would walk down Bole Road and see nice, first world shops, but then turn and look down a side street and see row after row of metal shacks that were reminiscent of the townships in South Africa. On the streets, I saw everything from men dressed in suits, to poor kids sleeping on the streets, their feet with tremendous infections causing extreme swelling of the feet and lower legs. Just an extremely odd mixture.

On my final day in Addis, I spent most of it talking travel, Ethiopian politics, and life with Mr. Martin. He was kind enough to take me to one of his other businesses, which was a wonderful European style spa tucked in quiet area just off Bole Road. It was a nice relaxing way to spend the afternoon before my overnight flight to Delhi......and being relaxed made me fall asleep that much easier.

Until later.......

Love, peace, and soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to Alladin (by Disney) Addis Ababa is the site of a beautiful fortress in the middle of a walled city. It does not sound like you had the same experience. Devin and I watched Alladin in your honor while you were in Addis Ababa. Nana

Anonymous said...

I must correct myself. According to Disney, Akkarbar is the site of a beautiful fortress in the middle of a walled city. My mistake! Nana