Friday, September 21, 2007

Chillin out in Hoi An

So, once I arrived in Hoi An, I just had a good feeling about the place. With my accommodation secured and after taking a quick stroll around the small little town, I decided I might have to extend my stay a bit longer. The old town portion of Hoi An is an actual UNESCO World Heritage site and after taking a stroll, I can definitely tell why. It's a lazy little town with a great central market, tons of made-to-order clothing stores, and cafes abound. I don't know if it was the combination of all the cafes or the fact that I was feeling a bit worn down, but I didn't really do anything while in Hoi An. My days consisted of waking up, walking through the market, down the alleys and side streets to find my next cafe or restaurant. No trips to the My Son ruins, no trips to the beach, no renting of motobikes for a ride, just relaxing, reading and trying to dodge the kids with the dragons. There was a local festival going on, which I can only liken to Halloween, where the local kids would roam around town with Chinese style dragons and drums and perform for the shops, tourists, and locals. In the past, the kids would get candy, but now they're out for money.

Unless you are traveling on the tightest of budgets, not many tourists can resist the chance to get some custom made clothing while in Hoi An. There are tons of shops to choose from, but you definitely need to watch out because, just like every other Vietnamese (and most people in general), these shops are out to make money. I definitely gave into temptation and stopped by Yaly Couture, a highly recommended shop, and went a little crazy. That's right, I bought two suits, two shirts, two corduroy jackets, a pair of corduroy slacks, and a pair of shorts......but for a 'good price.'

While in Hoi An, I did decide to take a Vietnamese cooking class and that really was the highlight of my 'activity,' if you could call it that. The class included a tour through the local market to learn about Vietnamese ingredients and about Vietnamese culture. As in a lot of small towns around the world, the market is the center of activity. The sounds, the smells, the sights are truly something to indulge as the market pulses the daily life blood for Hoi An. After the market tour, we got into the action and tried our hands at some Vietnamese cooking.......and wouldn't you know it? I actually made some rice paper!

More later......

Love, peace, and soul.

No comments: